Monday, August 2, 2010

Mercy...or as we say it in the South...MERSAY!

(OK...so here it is after about 9 months, I'm back. No promises just a day by day adventure. We'll see how it goes.)

All good southern women know this term. We use it all of the time. "Mercy, it sure is hot!" "Mercy, child. Give me a minute." "Mercy, is there anything else I can do for you?" If I didn't know better I would think that Mercy was a person that resides in every Southern home. She must because her name is called so frequently.

Now I'm not so sure that everyone uses this word in this context or even all that frequently, but I have found myself using it a lot. A particular day recently I used the word quite a few times. So many times in fact, it made me stop and think about the word itself. What it means and how or why it is used.

Children know the game "Mercy." Remember when you were a child. You and a friend would interlock your fingers and try to bend each other's hands back until one of you yelled, "Mercy." At which time you would let go and the victor was the one who caused pain so great that the other had called out for mercy.

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary site, there are three definitions. The third somewhat goes along with the game of "Mercy." It is defined as compassionate treatment of those in distress. If you have ever been on the receiving end of have your fingers bent back and twisted around, I think that you would agree that having your "friend" or sibling let go would be considered compassionate treatment. Not so much compassion in the beginning of the game, but certainly by the end...therefore the name, "Mercy."

The first definition is "compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power, also lenient or compassionate treatment." Remember this definition because it will be relevant to the story that follows. The second definition is " a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion...a fortunate circumstance. Synonyms for mercy are charity, clemency, grace, and leniency.

I like all of those words, especially when I am on the receiving end. It is often times more difficult to be on the giving end of mercy...much like grace. Aren't we glad that God doesn't feel that way?

David knew that God is a merciful God. In Psalm 57:1 he cries out,
"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed."

Mercy certainly comes from the Lord. Maybe when I begin my sentences with, "Mercy..." I'm crying out in an subconscious way for His mercy. Maybe mercy does refer to someone...the someone who can and does give it abundantly. Maybe calling out for "Mercy" is like calling out Abba, Papa, Lord.

On with the story that provoked all of this pondering on the word "Mercy."
Todd had a particularly stressful day at work ahead of him. I asked if I could pray for him. Of course he said, "yes." Who turns down prayer? I prayed for an upcoming audit he had and I prayed for God's grace and MERCY to be upon him in this situation. Thinking back to the definitions of mercy, I certainly would want compassion, an act of divine favor, or lenience from the creator of the Universe. He went to work and I went about my day.

Later in the day, I was outside mowing grass at high noon. I know that high noon is not the time to mow grass in South Georgia in July, but you take the time when you can get it. While pushing with all of my might I stated loudly, "MERCY!" As the words cleared my lips, the coolest breeze blew across my face. Immediately, I said, "Thank you, Jesus!" There was no other explanation for a breeze so cool on such a hot Summer day than that of Mercy given by our Savior..."compassionate treatment for those is distress."

The epilogue to Todd's story is that he too received, "Mercy." The audit was complete and things had not turned out in his favor. He questioned the auditor in disbelief. She stopped, took a moment to reevaluate and then discovered her error. With the stroke of a button, the numbers came in in his favor. So close to the cutoff that no other explanation can be accepted except for Mercy. The answer to the prayer that I had prayed earlier for my sweet husband.

So after a day full of mercy, I am much more aware of asking for it and much more thankful when I receive it.

No comments: